Thursday, February 6, 2014

February 7, 2014



Happy!





































It makes me smile...


Hi Deborah,
I thought this might make you smile -- I was having my students reflect on the progress of their literacy products and wanted them to come up with criteria about when their product would be complete. We talked briefly about how you might know when a product is complete (i.e., feedback from others suggests that you are clear, you've met or exceeded the expectations, you don't know where to add anything else), and then I had students respond to some questions via Google Form.

Here's one of my student's responses:




We're going to talk about specific criteria again, but I had such a hard time not laughing when I saw that come up as students were finishing the Google Form at the end of literacy today. :) I feel like that's a pretty good standard for knowing when you're done -- "When it is awesome enough!"
(Thanks Brittany!)




Mason (who is late almost every day) came bounding into the classroom today and yelled, "I'm here." (I wasn't at my post in the hall because I was helping another student.) I replied, "I'm glad you are here." He said, "No, didn't you notice that I am here before the bell rang?" I replied, "Wow, I see that." He said, "Well, I want to be the teacher's helper and it is my turn so don't give away my job." He walks away with a huge smile.

(I can't keep track of all of the tardies and absences when I am assigning the teacher's helper job, so I just say that if you aren't here when it is time to start your job - Pledge and lunch count - then I will just move to the next person on the list. Since everyone has multiple turns they still get a turn at a later date.)

Mason made it to school on time and was FINALLY able to be the teacher's helper - some things are very, very important in first grade. 
(Thanks Jill!)







  I have one for you! Involving our friend Gavin. This happened at recess:
  " Ms. Billie, those girls are mean.They are calling me funny names."
I say," Who is? Maybe we should go talk about it?" 
  We walk across to the girls and I say, " Ladies do you know why I am here? Gavin is talking to me.."
  The girls excitedly interrupt and say, " We just want him to be our prince charming..." 
 I look at Gavin and say, " Oh that is a compliment! Prince Charming is a very special prince that everyone loves!". 
I look at him and he is clearly not in favor of being " prince charming" so I suggested he go with " Prince Gavin" He reluctantly agreed, but he did NOT want to be "Prince Charming". And away they went!
(Thanks Billie!)











Check out more photos of Fifth Grade's Winter Voyage on Josh's Blog. They're sure to make you smile! (Some guaranteed great photography too!) http://unopenedfern.wordpress.com/




Cute story from today...Right before lunch today I asked my students to go ahead and start cleaning up the classroom. They had been working on a group poster for expedition, so there were markers, paper and tape all over the room. There was this huge echo....NO! Then Addie blurt out "Can we working on poster during indoor recess?" Then the room filled with a chorus of yeah can we please?  I guess my students were extremely engaged in learning, creating and collaborating! 


Also last week I received a birthday card from Lily. On the left side of the card Lily had used her ECAW skills to create a plan before drafting her letter to me. It put a huge smile on my face... Glad to see it transfer. 
(Thanks Lindsey!)




Had a great yesterday in cafe. Branden from Ms. Jills came up to during lunch and said, "Hey Mr Eric, is there a way we can get a Chuck E. Cheese built on this property?"
Made my day a lot brighter!
(Thanks Eric!)

Calendar

February 10 - 14th:

Monday:
Kenny's Crew on Winter Voyage
Fourth Grade to Keystone for Winter Voyage

Tuesday:
RTI meeting 7:30 a.m.

Wednesday:
All School Meeting
PD: Differentiated as identified during your PLC

Friday:
Happy Valentines Day!
No school for students
Professional Development - as identified during your PLC

Three day weekend ahead :)



February 17 - 21st:

Monday:
 No School

Tuesday:
NO RTI meeting
Michelle's Crew on Winter Voyage

Wednesday:
Second Grade Winter Voyage to DC Outdoor Center
Third Grade Winter Voyage to Keystone Science School

Professional Development: as identified during your PLC (Toon Boom presentation for those interested)




Have a great weekend!

Deborah











No comments:

Post a Comment