Thursday, November 3, 2011

November 4, 2011

Friday Flash, November 4, 2011

Saphier (2005), an educational researcher makes this comment; "Educators who believe in effort-based ability believe that all students can do rigorous academic work at high standards, even if they are far behind academically and need a significant amount of time to catch up. Educators who carry this belief into practice are not unrealistic about the obstacles they and their students face. They simply have not given up. And we know for sure that they will get results if they translate this belief into appropriate practice. "

Part of what makes Renaissance great is the fact that our teachers believe in our students and will go the extra mile to ensure success for all learners. At Renaissance, our teachers communicate on a daily basis that being smart is "something you can get" and not simply something with which you are born. In schools at which the faculty values effort-based ability, teachers constantly remind students of three crucial messages (Saphier, 2005):
1. "This is important."
2. "You can do it."
3. "I will not give up on you."

If we consistently send these messages to students regarding our belief in them - even our most at risk - will begin to believe in themselves and become motivated. Why? Because someone cares about them...someone wants them to succeed...they know what to work on in order to do well...they know what good work looks like and where their current performance is in relation to it..they know how to exert effort...they believe it would be worthwhile to do well...and they believe they are able to do well.

Not giving up on our students is one of the many ways we teach with passion at Renaissance.


Calendar:  
 Remember to add to your personal calendars:
*  Weekly grade level PLC
*  Post to Edmodo your progress/thinking/discoveries/wonderings/aha moments from your PLC (and/or other work)....
*  Weekly check-in to Edmodo to read what others have shared/make comments
(Edmodo references will makes sense after our Professional Development session on Friday)

Week of November 7 - 11th:


Tuesday, Nov. 8th:
* Woodland Park School District visiting Renaissance


Wednesday, Nov. 9:
* All School Meeting
* PD 1:30 pm


Thursday, Nov. 10th:
* 6th grade fieldwork to Keystone Science School (Thursday and Friday)


Friday, Nov. 11th:
* Book Fair begins


Week of November 14 - 18th:




Wednesday, November 16th: 
* Professional Development 1:30 p.m.


Nothing yet....




Note:  Student Led Conferences are scheduled in a block of two different weeks:
 *  December  5- 9th and December 12 - 16th. .
You decide which week you want to use for your conferences.  
*  The Elementary Progress Report (EPR's) window will open November 28th
 *  EPR reports are due Thursday, December 15th 
*  Parents will be able to see the reports on Friday, Dec.16th
This means, parents will not have seen the reports before they come to student led conferences. Please visit with Noreene or myself with questions or concerns.


Housekeeping:
The drone of the front door buzzer....
If parents are coming early to school to assist you with anything (for example the breakfast parties this  past Monday) please let the office know so we can unlock the back door. THEN, please direct parents arriving early to enter through the back door, just as is the process we are asking them to pick up kiddos involved in enrichment after school.
Having parents buzzing the front door is impossible for our very few front office staff. They can't get anything done AND we often don't have anyone in the office on duty to buzz the door open. Thanks in advance for helping!

Twitter Chats:
Here is the link to the archive of Sunday night's title talk. I watched and tried to keep up! The focus was on read aloud's and thought you might enjoy reading the archived conversation. You'll see posts by Jill and Mary Sue.
What are your favorite Read Alouds?


Featured Folks:

Authored by Bill Brown

Stuff I love doing:

Spending time with my best friend (aka my wife, Jodi), my favorite two year-old (aka my son, Landon), and my extended family; learning; teaching; reading; writing; running; hiking; biking; drawing; playing games (like Mastermind, Scrabble, darts, etc); going to church; Bible study/teaching; praying; building stuff (like models); thinking/debating weighty issues (no, really); listening to music (especially classical, jazz, and seventies/eighties rock); checking out old cars, especially from the 30’s, 40’s, and 60’s. (Speaking of old cars, the car I wish I’d never sold: my 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible (sweet-down-shifting, hair-raising, head-turning, Detroit-bred, machine of unbridled youthful automotive lust that it was)). 

Some of the places I’ve lived or visited:

Born in Baltimore, MD  (When? Hint: while my mom was giving birth to me, my dad listened to the Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) – Sonny Liston rematch (fathers were not allowed in the delivery room in that era); Big Rapids, MI; Englewood, CO; Littleton, CO  (3 X); St. Louis, MO; Minneapolis, MN; Tuapse, Russia; Tampa, FL; Salem, OR; Palmer Lake, CO; Mexico; Germany; The Netherlands; Turkey; Latvia; Czech Republic; Hungary; Kazakhstan; Ukraine

Some of the work I’ve done:

Waiter; College TA for communications course; commercial property insurance underwriter; temping in machine shops; property and casualty insurance claim rep; TESL teacher; humanitarian aid worker; bookkeeper; missionary training school leader;
bean counter/on-site manager for a Qwest procurement contractor; teacher (2 years in Jeffco; 3 ½ years at REMS)

Some things not many people know about me:

I’m 6’4” / 285
I’m in the witness protection program
I wear a prosthetic arm due to my time in ‘Nam
(You’d think you’d know someone after working with them for four years!)

                                              
              1985, with my baby (’68 ‘stang)        




        2010, wow, have my priorities changed!




 Authored  by Jodie Lamb


How I ended up at Renaissance:

Hard to believe I have been at Renaissance for about 4 years.  In 2004, I decided to quit my job ( I worked for a plastic surgeon for 15 years, I could actually use the free surgery now ) and become a full time mom.  After doubting I could do it well, I realized I was actually really good at it and really enjoyed it.  It has helped a lot that my husband is also very hands on.  Having a close family was a dream for both of us.   When my youngest started school full time and my husband starting working from home (that wasn’t going to work, both of us at home), I decided to get a part time job.  Naturally, I gravitated to the school.  I had spent years in the classroom volunteering with my children.  I there realized how much I loved other people’s children, as well.  I have worked along side some of the best teachers ,  between Sedalia and Renaissance , that have taught me a lot about how to give each child an opportunity to learn, in the style that suits that learner.  There is nothing that is more satisfying to me than to have a kiddo say “Thanks ,  Miss Jodie,  I get  it”.  Or to have a kiddo run up and tell me a very exciting piece of their life.  For now this position is meeting my needs.  I have enjoyed the family I have worked with here at Renaissance, and have enjoyed watching the love and dedication of everyone involved and watching the school turn into one of the most caring schools.

 On the personal side. Watching my boys turning into intelligent, athletic, loving and great leaders, has given me a great  sense of pride.  This year they have excelled in football , basketball, baseball and track. They have both made honor roll in their new middle school and high school. Jack will be making his confirmation this May and Justin enjoys searching for his spiritual side( I walked by him the other day, on his knees, with his hands together, holding my husbands cross necklace). I don’t know what he was praying for, but I knew he was looking in the right place. Watching the two of them care and laugh together, has been a blast.  We, as a family, are all entering a new phase of life and independence, with the boys growing up and not needing us as much.  Who knows what will be next…



Love and Logic:
9 Essential Skills: Skill Number Five
Developing Positive Teacher - Student Relationships

The one-sentence intervention
Research clearly shows that the primary element contributing to success with at-risk students is a positiive, human relationship between the student and the teacher.  The research also indicates that this relationship is developed most effectively when the teacher displays interest in aspects of the student that are not traditionally school related.  That is, the relationship blossoms when the teacher notices and accepts the student as a unique being ... rather than just a pupil.

1. What are the student's nonacademic strengths and interests?
2. Name six brief statement you can use to notice these strengths and interests:
Example:  "I've noticed that you really like to draw."
(Go ahead, try it...six statements that begin -
"I've notice that ______________________________." (Do not end the statement with something like, "...and that's great!"

3. When and where can you make these statements without embarrassing the student?
4.  Which other teachers will help you use this technique with the student?
5.  Approach the student, smile, and use the statements identified above at least two times a week for at least three weeks.
6. Listen to the student if he/she wants to talk about the strength or interest.
7. Do not use this technique when the student is upset. Save it for calm times.
8. When the student is about to do something you don't want...or if you want him or her to do something else, experiment with saying, "Will you do this just for me?" or "Just because I like you, should I let you do this?"

Peek Into the Life of Our School:
Hanni is using Ipads for Independent Learning Centers.
This is a student who is challenged to stay focused. I couldn't even get him to look up!

Lisa's students actively researching using digital tools.

Older students supporting our young readers -
what a purposeful leadership opportunity!


Collaboration...
Kathy made a peer visit to Mary Beth and they
are busy debriefing on the spot.
Peer coaching and learning!



"This is important. You can do it. I won't give up on you."

Individual  attention and caring...
gifts to our kids.
Queen of multi-tasking...and always with a smile and happy spirit!

Mary during Read Aloud -
Adventure Genre Study

Outdoor Learning Environment (OLE) Work Day
We had about 18 volunteers (including our own dear Andrea and Mary Sue along with their hubbies) who came all day Saturday to help with the work day.It was a very productive day and we were able to accomplish a number of projects:
*Garden - construct and build raised garden beds, irrigation, and fence the garden!
*Create a digging area -completely dug up a 30X30 area, laid chain link fencing down so they couldn't dig to China, refill and border with logs. 
* Plant 10 new trees
* Change out hammocks
Next up:
* Paving the walk-ways

Andrea hard at it!

Mary Sue wanted this picture...she's taller than me here!
(Did I mention she's standing on top of the raised garden bed?)
Welcome to Dana Deidrich!
Our new first grade educational assistant in Mary Beth's Crew!

Welcome BACK Dolores!
You were missed!







Teachers facilitate learning....


Doug and Aidan preparing to model for learners.

Reading Recovery

You have to look to find the teacher...
Josh supporting learning.


Quotes


"It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."
-Robert Louis Stevenson




Thought to ponder:
Choose a colleague you admire, then make two lists.
What makes this person a good colleague? What would
be on the list this colleague makes about you?

Isn't it absolutely amazing how much happens in a week?
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment