Friday, November 25, 2011

November 25, 2011


November 25, 2011


Happy  Black Friday!
Hope you are surrounded by friends, family and left-overs!
Caution: Stay out of the stores!






Circle of Courage


The Circle of Courage can serve as a model for us as we learn and grow as educators. Each of us must feel that we belong to our professional community. When we feel safe, supported and able to take risks, we grow and learn and move towards independence. We recognize our own responsibility for contributing to the sense of belonging that we are developing as Crew.
Within independence, we develop our understandings of the teaching/learning cycle. We uncover what we know that students need to be able to do. Truthfully, we don't need the standards. We know what readers, writers, mathematicians, and critical thinkers need to know and do...we've learned it ourselves. We have a plethora of resources to draw from: Workshops, Backwards Planning, conferring, digital tools...they are all the tools we are learning to use to support students in being independent strategic problem solvers. They are tools we use to grow our own deeper understandings to be independent as teachers. We aren't teaching students, we're supporting students to learn. 
We move towards mastery as we uncover and recognize,through assessment, what works and what is meaningful to students. When we recognize and accept the responsibility that we are the common denominator..not the students. We revise, reflect and grow towards deeper ways to embed creativity and purpose to the lesson designs we create. We acknowledge that we are always doing our best...and learning that there is much still to learn ourselves.
We  move towards generosity as we share and collaborate with others. We release our need to 'know it all', to accept that it is a never ending journey of discovery .We  open up and 'give it away'. 
How cool is that?
Calendar
November 28th - December 2nd:
Tuesday, 29th:
*RTI meeting 7:15 a.m.

Wednesday, 30th:
*All School Meeting
*New Parent Orientation
*Professional Development: Digital Tools (last one for now...)

Thursday, 1st:
*Discovery 2/3 Field work to Denver Art Museum

Friday, 2nd:
*1st grade Field work to Chinese Restaurant

December 5th - 9th:
(Student-led Conference week)
Tuesday, 6th:
*RTI meeting 7:15 a.m.
*SAC meeting 5:30 p.m.

Wednesday, 7th:
*Author Presentation 9 - 10:30 a.m.
*No PD

Thursday, 8th:
*Kindergarten Sharing Night 6 - 7 p.m.

Friday, 9th:
*Lockdown Drill 3:00 p.m.

Saturday, 10th:
* Winter Wonderland Program


How to Use Service Learning to Engage Kids


Six strategies for starting meaningful community-service projects.




Love and Logic
9 Essential Skills: Skill Number Eight
Quick and Easy Preventive Interventions
1. Give 'the look'

2. Walk toward the student

3. Stand close to the student

4. Eye contact and a share of the head indicating "No."

5. Place a gentle hand upon the shoulder of the student.

6. Make a statement indicating disfavor such as:
"Really now, Jeff, must you?"
"Just because I like you, should I let you get by with that?"

7. Change the student's location by asking:
"Jeff, would you consider moving over her for a minute?"
"Would you mind waiting here for a minute, and then we can talk?"

8. Statement (the behavior is just misplaced):
"That behavior would be fine on the playground. It isn't okay here."
"That's not acceptable here."
"Save it for later."

9. Use an "I - message":
"I get distracted when there is a pencil tapping."
"It scares me to see you running in the hall. Wait right here for a moment, then you can go."

10. Set limits by describing what you allow, do, or provide, without telling student what to do about it.:
"I listen to people who raise their hands."
"I give feedback on papers that are turned in on my desk."
"I'll dismiss people as soon as desks are clean."
"Feel free to return to the group as soon as you can handle it."

11. Provide choices
"Would you rather work quietly with the group or go to recovery?"
"Would you rather talk this over quietly with me now or after school?"

12. Remove the student from the group to recovery. Student is allowed to return when he/she can live with the limitations of the group or teacher.




Featured Folks

Authored by Lindsey Burris - 

I remember the exact moment when the thought of becoming a teacher was planted in my impressionable mind. I was in 8th grade - what I would call the “ugly duckling” phase in my life. No matter how hard I tried to fit in I felt awkward and stood out. My life in 8th grade was far from normal. It was the year I had a limb lengthening procedure on my arm. For nine month I wore a large metal fixator on my right humerus bone.  Needless to say, I stuck out in a crowd.
For six week during that year I had an elective class that was taught by one of the 6th grade language art teachers, Mrs. Jan McDonald.  One day after class Mrs. McDonald asked if I’d be willing to be a guest speaker for her 6th grade classes. Her classes were just finishing a unit of study based on novels about overcoming adversity. The main characters were all living with either physical or mental disabilities. Mrs. McDonald thought it would be interesting for her students to hear my story. I was honored and flattered that she asked me to share my story with them. I spent a week preparing my presentation. I even asked my doctor to borrow the x-rays of my arm.  It was a positive experience for me. By sharing my experience, I got a chance to share the importance of empathy and compassion for people who look and act differently. I think of it as my first shot at teaching.
At the end of my presentation, Mrs. McDonald handed me a book as a thank you. Inside the book she wrote a note. Have you ever considered being a teacher? The seed was planted that day and eventually led me to this fine profession.
The relationship I have with Mrs. McDonald didn’t end in middle school. She continues to be a teacher, role model, mentor and good friend to me. This remarkable lady led me to Renaissance last spring when I visited Colorado searching for jobs. I think of her every day I walk into work and I’m forever thankful.
            Teachers have a tremendous amount of things on their “to-do lists” every day and I think it’s easy to forget that our words and actions can forever influence a child’s life. I’m walking proof of that. I was in Mrs. McDonald’s classroom for no more than 30 days and she made a huge impact on my life - probably more than she ever anticipated.




Peek Into the Life of Our School:
Amazing how much went on in two days!!!
This is a testimony to the dedication of the instruction at Renaissance.
Two day week...rockin' and rolling!
Meaningful instruction just before the holidays keeps kids plugged in and focused.


Welcome Wendy!


Wendy Maier joins our Special Education team.


Team Eric! 

Dee substitute teaching in 6th grade. She can do it all!
(and she does!)


First Grade Prepares for Field Work
What is that?
(Hint...tastes like seaweed...)
Purpose of this lesson was to take risks in tasting new foods and learn to politely say 'No Thank You'.
(preparation for field work to Chinese Restaurant)

Here...try some!

Hmmm????





Third Grade Museum Grand Opening!
(Case Study about Regions:
Regions of Colorado defined by Art

Art pieces that represent student's interpretation of their own culture.

Ethan shares climbing at Renaissance!



Kids shared they didn't eat breakfast because they knew there would be a feast!




Welcome to Mr. Bill's Crew Market Day


Let the trading begin!
Ask Bill about the details...
Kids had to do a reporting form at the conclusion of the market about net profit calculations.


"Breckens store of Cheepness"
This shop was a hit for those of us looking for office supplies!
 (Brecken's mom is a distributor for School Supply)

Keegan's shop is a hit, even if he was the most expensive!
Rubber Band Slinger for $20.






Fourth Grade & 4/5 Discovery 
"Eureka" Case Study (Mining in Colorado)
(Part of 'Why Live Here' Expedition 
Kids were in expert groups and now teaching others through a presentation


First time in our school, that kids have used Google Docs to share the creation of a presentation!

Kids did an awesome job of putting the information into their own words.
Meaningful collaboration and leadership opportunity!

Authentic Assessment...the notes kids took during presentations.

The notes demonstrated critical thinking.

Accountability

Hey Neil...did you notice when kids present we see ourselves?
The kids take on the language and mannerisms of their teachers!
They have a great model!



Lunch Goddesses

Kim and Donna

Kim and Lanette
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment