Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November 14, 2014




Every day my thinking is changing. Every day I get closer to really embracing and even enjoying the discovery rather than letting it feel like a deadline. I feel the pressure to figure it out, because I know you are looking to me for guidance, feedback, and reassurance. 
I am always happy to share what I'm thinking today - until something you say makes me wonder all over again. I'm trying to share feedback with you as objectively as I can so that you can 'see' what I notice. And I can reassure all of us, that the one thing I know for sure - is that an effective educator is always pushing themselves to new levels. Without a doubt, there are no passengers on this Crew.

At the conclusion of our professional development session we neglected to visit a few classrooms. Our time went longer than I anticipated - took longer to go over Liz's talking points. So...we will be sure to visit classrooms next Wednesday. My apologies to those teachers who were expecting us!

In the spirit of reporting out on school data here's some things I've noticed:

* People experimenting with using Learning Targets in a variety of ways.
* Learning Targets displayed in a variety of ways.
* Observed teachers unpacking the targets with kids and making sense out of what they are targeting.
* Students using the learning target to self-assess their progress.
* Using check for understanding strategies.
* Students involved in understanding why they are learning the target.
* Cold calls for checking for understanding
* No opt out strategy - we still have some confusions about how to follow up when a student doesn't have an answer. I've seen teachers take it on, rather than having the student ask for help, and have not seen students repeating back what another student said when they didn't know.
* Our learning targets still reveal some confusions about the target being a Learning target versus Doing targets.

Important to remember:
* This is an inquiry study - there is no destination that we are all expected to arrive at together.
* Trying one thing is about all we can do. Let go of your personal expectation to implement everything we study.
* Wonder - ask more questions
* Decide you might have an idea that could work for you and try it and then reflect
* Wonder - ask more questions


What we do does make a difference

In October, Katie Glassman, was chosen as Mesa's Middle School Student of the month. She was recognized for the attribute of 'principled'. Lisa emailed her to congratulate her and following is her reply:

"I really never realized how much I actually learned from our voyages. At the moment last year they didn't teach me as much as they have now since middle school. And those skills and the mindset I have built is becoming extremely important. Make sure to tell your crew this year that it may not seem like you ever have to use the skills you are learning now through voyages but all the experiences mean so much to you later. Oh and that they should deeply treasure being part of a crew and part of Renaissance."



Calendar

November 17 -21st:
Book Fair Week

Monday 17th:
Deborah at HR meeting until 10:00 a.m.

Tuesday 18th:
RTI meeting 7:30 a.m.
Debbie out for PLS meeting
Family night at Book Fair 4-7:30 p.m.

Wednesday19th:
The Beat
Professional Development 1:30 - Student Engaged Assessment

Thursday 20th:
Jill's Crew Fieldwork (Julie & Debbie driving) 9:40-10:40
Thanksgiving Feast (completely different lunch schedule)



November 24 - 28th:

Tuesday 25th:
RTI 7:30 a.m.

Wednesday - Friday:
Thanksgiving Break - Enjoy!





Have a great weekend!
Deborah


No comments:

Post a Comment