Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 8, 2012

24


I don't know how Jack Bauer does it.  He lives in a state of urgency and never eats, sleeps, changes clothes or needs to use the bathroom!  I'm exhausted just watching the show. I do not want to be Jack Bauer. I do not want to live in a state of panic. Yet, I find that the demands on us make me feel as though I'm living that life that the clock is counting down every minute. I try to step back to determine the priorities, but they are all priorities. Something has to give - after all, there are only 24 hours to our day.

During the Leadership Team meeting we talked about what things can be moved off the priority list so that we can all feel a sense of accomplishment and peace. Some of those things are different depending on the role and responsibilities we each have. Providing we are moving forward, we're accomplishing the goal.

Here are some of the things I'm thinking right now:

* We are expected to create a backwards plan. Everyone has done that. Check that one off.

* Sharing your Backwards Plan with me. I'm not going to evaluate it. I'm going to talk with you about the progress you feel you've made in understanding the process and using it. I want to know what is still confusing. Check off feeling like you will be critiqued - We aren't ready to be at the top of Blooms with this planning process yet.

* We are expected to work towards an effective rating on some of the World Class Outcomes -
Backwards Planning, Restorative Practices and Student Advocacy. We've worked on two of them - so check that off the list.

* We are working on building a Balanced Assessment System and have plans to eat away at that goal one bite at a time - together. So, check that one off the list.

* Observations - we are beginning to schedule those. We are expected to use the CITE Evaluation tool to assess our growth. Growth - we don't need to have it all figured out. I think if the District was to evaluate themselves with this tool it would have to be partially effective, so I'm good with being that too. I'm learning what it is, how to use it, and what it would look like to be effective. I'm learning with you. So, it's on the list, but not something that can really be checked off, so let it fall off the list for something to be stressed over.

* Creating learning experiences tied to World Class Outcomes - this is a biggie - this is where the majority of our focus should be. Will we always get it right? Would we be learning if we did?

* EPortfolio's - I think everyone's created one. Do we have to make it work for us yet? No - check it off the list.

* Halogen - ignore it. My problem.

* District Interim Assessments - sheesh- didn't turn out the way it was advertised. Do what you can with it and then give Bill your feedback so he can take your experience to the Assessment office so they  will know how the 'idea to action' turned out. Perhaps we take it off the list? Thank you for coming to me to ask for help when you didn't have the time you needed. That's what you do - you put it on my list! Ha!

* Safety protocols - do what you can to provide the optimum safety procedures.

* Webinars, moodles.... I say leave them off the list.

* Learning Expeditions - yes - and I'll bet everyone can check the first one off the list.

* PLC's - yes - but you have support and where you are is where you are. There is no race.

* What else is making you feel like Jack Bauer? 
Make a list and decide that some things won't get done. Share with a Leadership Team member what isn't working and what needs to be addressed and corrected at the school level.

 Share your tips for how you manage the demands with all of us. What are your tricks for prioritizing? What are you tips for being at peace and really letting some things go?


Calendar


November 12 -16:

Book Fair all week
Fall Climbing

Tuesday:

RTI meeting 7:15 a.m
Thanksgiving Lunch - see different schedule
(If I don't have jury duty I have to be at an admin meeting - that means I won't be in my turkey costume...bummer!)

Wednesday:
New Parent Orientation 8:00 a.m.
Professional Development: 
Beginning to create our Balanced Assessment System - whole group in the library at 1:30 p.m.

Thursday:
Girls On the Run Celebration 4 - 5 p.m.

November 19 - 23:

Tuesday:
RTI meeting 7:15 a.m.

Wednesday - Friday:
Thanksgiving Holiday :)


Leadership Team Topics Discussed
* Balanced Assessment System plan for our building
* Professional Development opportunities outside of our building and an equitable plan for all.
* Wednesday PD plans revised
* Apple Awards
* Interim Assessments
* Implications of UIP
* Report Cards
* Managing all the demands



Peek Into Classrooms





Students get more support from older students.


Don't you just want those gloves too?


We even have Grandma's belaying!

Cody joined us this week!





Climbing blind. Increasing the challenge.



Bill's group wrestled with vocabulary.



Have a great weekend - 
Deborah




No comments:

Post a Comment