Thursday, August 23, 2012

August 24th: Outcomes


Outcomes
Stage One of Backwards Planning


It was powerful to engage in building new understandings together on Wednesday afternoon. It was so helpful to have a flow chart (which I am still trying to get for all of us - soon I hope!) to see the progression of how to build a backwards plan.

We're starting with stage one - the hardest part. It's important to remember as we work through this stage that we need to talk to each other to get concise and clear on creating (highest level of Blooms!) World Class outcomes.

As teachers, we were not trained to do this and now we are being asked to create learning experiences in very different ways. Why is it important? Creating world class outcomes is going to transform the learning experience for kids. This is a giant transition. We will work together, take small steps and learn along the way. It will require support and the willingness to unlearn and learn again. We're up for that! For those of you who are more comfortable with this change, I call on you to take a leadership role in supporting others as we go.

To recap what we learned (as soon as I have the video for those who missed this, I'll pass it along):
A world class education has three components:

Backwards Planning                 Restorative Practices                   Student Advocacy


We can't work on everything at once, so we will focus on backwards planning. There are three stages to backwards planning and we must move through them in a learning progression. We identified that we very often skip over the first two stages and concentrate on stage three. We must begin with stage one - outcomes. (The backwards planning stages parallel PLC questions: What do we want the students to learn? How will we know? How will we teach it?)
Backwards Planning Stages:
Stage one: Outcomes
Stage two: Assessments
Stage three: Teaching strategies

Stage One has a progression:
1. Enduring Understandings
2. Essential Questions
3. Outcomes

So how do you know if your outcomes are World Class? Here is the filter that as you look at each, the answer must be 'yes'.
* Is it important?
* Is it modern?
* Is it aligned?
* Is it prioritized?
* Is it integrated?

The focus of my classroom walkthroughs will be to look for evidence that your outcomes are world class. Don't feel threatened. I want my presence in your classroom to be aligned with our goals.  I am uncertain about how I will provide feedback and hope we can learn that together. I am not evaluating...I'm learning with you and our dialogue and interaction can help us both work on creating these outcomes. You all have world class outcomes already, and some outcomes that might need some tweaking - but really, this isn't going to be a big learning curve.

What if you have no idea? That's okay. When I'm there, we'll work on it in a natural way. 

It will help to think about how you can communicate to students why they are engaged in the learning you have created. Perhaps it could look something like, "We learn to write so that we can communicate our ideas, feelings and experiences. To learn to do that, we will be working on...." 
The learning that students are engaged in will reflect your outcomes.


Calendar: Two weeks at a glance


August 27 - 31:

Tuesday:
* RTI meeting 7:15 a.m.
* Mr. Neil's Crew Voyage to Educo

Wednesday:
* All School Meeting: Lisa's Crew Hosts
* 6th grade, 5/6 Discovery Field Work 
* PD: Vertical Team meetings/ Technology

September 3 - 7:

Tuesday:
Josh's Crew to KMAC
Kenny's 5th grade Crew to Educo
*RTI meeting 7:15 a.m.

Wednesday:
* Leadership Team meeting 11:00
* PD: Math 1:30 p.m.


Character Development through Adventure Education

Second Grade Voyage


 Beneficence on a hike

Building a shelter

Solitude and Reflection


Challenge by Choice

Here is a link to Jill's blog so you can see some photos of the First Grade Voyage. Jill also has included the outcomes for Adventure Education in her blog.

  1. http://jillfisch.blogspot.com/


Peek Into Classrooms

William Bent (or is it?) expert speaker

Recess: Play has purpose-
Outdoor Learning
I think I can identify the 4 C's here...

PLC at work

Makes you smile that our hallways tell our story...

Dr. Read Aloud

What I know - What I'm curious about
Engaging learners in the process -
and a formative assessment.

A Fishbowl
Students constructing new understandings,
students noticing and learning how to do it,
the teacher as the facilitator.


 Things people share:

Jill Fisch:
I don't post often on Facebook but tonight I posted this:

Why I love teaching first grade: Just home from an overnight trip with my first graders that had lots of hiking and outdoor activities. No time for a shower this morning so I put my hair in a pony tail. A parent just sent me an email and told me that the first thing her daughter told her about the trip was: "Oh my gosh Mommy, Ms. Jill looked so pretty in a pony tail." I felt anything but pretty today but this is exactly why I love teaching first grade. They love everything and notice everything. You can't help but smile. Makes me ready to go back for more even though I am so very tired.

A parent:
(Their students have been in a different school prior to REMS)
"Wow! The communication from your teachers is incredible! I have never felt so informed or so included. My family is in love with Renaissance!

A parent:
(must have chaperoned on second grade voyage)
"The closing ceremony on the voyage made me cry and gave me goosebumps. I knew we were going to love Renaissance, but now I know we picked the perfect school for our kids."

Deborah:
I was wearing a necklace/glass pendant. A kindergartner held it in her hands as I was leaning over her table and gazed into it. "You must be really rich to have such a big diamond! You must be a queen!" I liked that so much better than when they ask me, "Are you the hugest person in the building?"





Have a great weekend!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment