Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 3, 2012

February 3, 2012
Snow Day!
Do you find yourself at the window every few minutes checking on the weather?  As I write this, there is still not much snow falling, but I received an email and school has been closed! That means you can go to bed tonight (if you are reading this Thursday evening) with the peace of knowing that you can sleep in!
Enjoy a cozy day at home on Friday and be safe!


Calendar

Week of Feb. 6 - 9th:

Monday, Feb. 6:
*Lisa's Crew leaves on their Winter Voyage

Tuesday, Feb. 7
* RTI meeting 7: 15 a.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 8:
* ASM Ms. Sarah's Crew Hosts
* Ms. Mary Sue's Crew leaves on their Winter Voyage

Thursday, Feb. 9:
* Ms. Mary's Crew leaves on their Winter Voyage

Week of Feb. 12- 16:
* CSAP Reading week for 3rd Grade

Monday, Feb. 12:
* Josh's crew leaves on their Winter Voyage

Tuesday, Feb. 13:
* RTI meeting 7:15 a.m.








Love and Logic
Teacher-ism:
Lecturing a student, "If you'd just behave yourself on the playground, you wouldn't keep getting kicked off"
is about as effective as lecturing a spouse, 
"If you'd just behave yourself in the car, you wouldn't keep getting these tickets."






Featured Folks


Meant to Be
By Jill
My life has been a series of  “meant to be” experiences. I thought I would share a few of those experiences with you.


Meant to Be Experience #1 – Becoming a Teacher
I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember – even before I started school and really knew what school was all about. I was telling this story to my daughter, Abby, a few weeks ago and her response was “Oh, no, I am already 11 years old and I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.” When it was time to enroll in college, my big act of rebellion was to declare Physical Therapy as my major – I wanted to be different. This bit of rebellion on my part did not last long and soon I switched my major right back to Elementary Education. Throughout my 18 year career I have taught 1st grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade Science, and 8th grade Math and Algebra – though not in that order.

Meant to Be Experience #2 – Marrying Karl
My next meant to be moment was marrying Karl. He and I have known each other since 7th grade. We became best friends in 10th grade and started dating in 12th grade. We had a long distance relationship during college when I stayed home and went to the University of Kentucky and he went away to MIT in Boston. (He later transferred to Northwestern in Chicago but it was still a long distance relationship.) We got married when we were 21 years old and have been married for 26 years now.

Meant to Be Experience #3 – Moving to Colorado
When I finished my student teaching, we packed up what little we owned and moved across the country from Kentucky to Colorado. We did not have jobs and we knew no one in Colorado. We pulled into Denver, spent the night in a hotel on Colfax Avenue and when we got up the next morning we got a newspaper to begin our search for a place to live. We were quickly overwhelmed with all of the choices that such a large city had to offer. We had no idea where we should live. So we got back in our rented truck and drove to Fort Collins. It was a much smaller city and much easier to find a place to live. However, it was much more difficult to find jobs there. Karl subbed and I worked in daycare until we ended up getting teaching positions in Aurora the next year and moved back to the Denver Metro area. While Colorado was another “meant to be” for us, Fort Collins was not.

Meant to Be Experience #4 – Adopting Abby
After 15 years of marriage, our biggest “meant to be” experience was adopting Abby. It required lots of paperwork, hurdles, scrutiny and drama but the end result was totally and completely worth it. The trip to China to get her was exciting, exhilarating, emotional and enriching.
Here is a link to a short but emotional movie of the moment we got Abby: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1569355/Our%20Trip%20to%20Get%20Abby.mov

The full story of our trip to get her is here (This is very long so feel free to skip this link):

Meant to Be Experiences #5, #6 and #7
These are some much smaller experiences.
#5 is having two dogs named Annie – not at the same time. Both were adopted and named before we got them but we like to think that there is a connection there and that we were meant to have dogs named Annie in our family.

#6 is becoming a sports parent. I never, ever would have predicted that I would spend so much of my time at softball and basketball games (and washing uniforms) but I love it.

#7 is becoming a blogger. I now have 3 blogs. I don’t use all of them equally but I do enjoy keeping them. They are:
Ms. Jill’s Crew (my classroom blog) http://jillfisch.blogspot.com/
My Primary Passion (my blog about teaching) http://myprimarypassion.blogspot.com/
(This blog was a personal project that I did two years ago where I tried to take one picture everyday. I did great that first year and now I just add pictures every now and then.)

Meant to Be #8 – Teaching 1st Grade at Renaissance
My final “meant to be” is teaching 1st grade at Renaissance. Here is a link to a blog post that explains why I think I am meant to be here:


Peek Into the Life of Our School:


Noreene reads Good Night Ipad to 6th grade

5th graders working on their Service Learning Project
Blue Bird Boxes

Body System Expert Group
Mr. Bill's Crew


Expert Speaker for Body System Expedition
This is a heart...

....and a stomach up close!
Making it real!


Using white boards for checking for understanding.
Just how do you juggle it all?

If you haven't seen Lonnie yet, you'll soon be seeing her often.
Lonnie will be Michelle's long-term substitute.
Welcome Lonnie!



Words to ponder:





No comments:

Post a Comment