Thursday, December 8, 2011

December 9, 2011

December 9, 2011


Busy Time
At this very busy time of the year, both personally and professionally, I thought a reflection on the never-ending challenge with time would be relevant.
I know we all share the feelings and frustrations that there is never enough time. We feel stretched for time. We have to leave loose ends at the end of every day. We all wonder how we will ever get it all done!
I have come to the realization that time constraints will always be present and that I will never get it all done. I know that we all strive to be the best people that we can be. In order to be our best, it is necessary to take care of ourselves. So what can we do to manage all of our life activities, both professionally and personally?
I have come, once again to find comfort in the wisdom and words of others. From Richard Carlson's book, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff - And It's All Small Stuff, his strategy is as follows:
Learn to Live in the Present Moment
To a large degree, the measure of our peace of mind is determined by how much we are able to live in the present moment. Without question, I have mastered the neurotic art of spending way too much time worrying about a variety of things all at once. I catch myself allowing past problems and future concerns to dominate my present moment! 
John Lennon once said, "Life is what's happening when we are busy making other plans."
Now is the only time we have, and it is the only time over which we have any control.
Ever catch yourself wishing for a time to be over? I did that once and realized I almost wasted an entire year! When our attention is on the present moment, we push fear from our minds. Fear is worrying about events in the future. The best strategy for dealing with fear is to learn to bring your attention to the present.
Mark Twain said, "I have been through some terrible times in my life, some of which actually happened."
I've shared with some of you the words my Grandmother Opal always shared with me:
"Do what you can and let the loose ends drag!"


Join me in practicing keeping your attention on the here and now. Your efforts will pay off in great dividends.

A personal favorite:
I love the Grinch
Included it just because it makes me smile...




Calendar
Can you believe we are just a week away from break???

December 12- 16th:
Monday, 12th:
*Vision and Hearing testing
Tuesday, 13th:
* RTI meeting 7:15 p.m.

Wednesday, 14th:
*New Parent Orientation
*All School Meeting
*No PD
*Band & Orchestra Performance 6 p.m. 

Thursday, 15th:
*EPR's due (sigh of relief)

Friday, 16th:
*1st grade field work to Chinese Cultural School
*Crew Holiday parties?
* Staff Holiday Party at Mary Sue's home :)

***** Reminder to communicate to parents that students WILL come to school on Friday, Dec.16th. They will NOT come to school on Tuesday, January 3rd. First day back for students will be Wednesday, January 4th.


Love and Logic Teacher-isms:


When a child says, "It's too hard -
I can't do it," the wise teacher smiles 
and whispers,
 "Arent' you glad I don't believe that?"




Walk-through Focus:
For the next two weeks as I make visits to your classrooms I will be providing you with feedback about your teaching language and the dialogue between teacher and students and student to student.



Featured Folks:
authored by Elisha Giger

Elisha and husband, Tom

I have lived in Strasburg, CO most of my life.  Strasburg is a very small farming town where everyone knows everyone and it literally takes less than a minute to drive from one end of town to the other.  I actually grew up just outside of town on a little farm where my dad raised cows, pigs, horses, and dogs.  He has recently added two donkeys, just because he felt the urge to one day.   
My family is really important to me.  I have four brothers and two sisters.  All live nearby, so I get to see them often.  I have been married to my husband Tom (or Joe, as Deborah calls him) for three years.  He is originally from Nebraska, which is why you will occasionally catch me wearing a Husker shirt.  He spends much of his time coaching high school football, so I don’t get to see much of him from July to November.  As you all know, we added a precious baby boy to our family in August.  Brayden is growing too fast and is beginning to roll over already.  He has completely changed our lives and makes us laugh everyday.  I’ve included a lot of pictures because he is just so darn cute!
Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be a teacher.  One year, my grandpa made me this really cool playhouse furnished with a living room and complete kitchen.  That very same day I got it I threw out the kitchen, moved in a desk, and made it my schoolhouse.  I then forced my little brother and sister to be my students and I would spend hours out there playing school.  From there, I went to the University of Northern Colorado and got my teaching degree then back to Strasburg for my very first teaching job.  In Strasburg I taught sixth grade for two years and third grade for one.  I then came to Renaissance where I have taught third grade and now teach Reading Recovery.  Teaching is my passion and I can’t imagine doing it anywhere other than here!

Here are some things people may or may not know about me:
·      I have always wanted to skydive, but have yet to make the jump.
·      I am terrified to ski.
·      I will wear open-toes shoes even in the winter.
·      I helped my dad build his house (and it’s still standing!)
·      I once played catch with John Elway.
·      Last year, Tom and I went to the airport with no plans and hopped on the first available flight.  We ended up in San Diego.
·      I can’t believe I am going to admit this, but when no one else is around I like to blast my favorite songs from the stereo and sing into the microphone.  I would be terrified if anyone ever heard me!
·      I was a church youth group leader for three years.
Braden





Peek Into the Life of our School:


The 'look' of guided group instruction with 21st Century Learners!

Rebecca leaves for her surgery on Friday.
We'll miss you and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Who can this be?

Look who is back and lookin' good!
Our Ms. Lori!!
Wow it was great to have her back...
even if it was just for a day!


Jennifer facilitating Bully Proof skills to first graders in Jill's Crew
A 'large' celebration for a reluctant writer!

Author Visit...thanks Diana!


Pam facilitates Raku pottery firing as an integrated study with
Sixth grade Learning Expedition.
Dress Rehearsal for Band & Orchestra Performance

Manipulatives that are relevant...Money!

(Maybe they are counting Jill's raise? LOL)









Enjoy the song by Ms. Kathy's Crew
It will inspire you to 
Leave No Trace!














The Seasons of a Christmas Tree












Sometimes the most urgent & vital thing you can possibly do
 is take a complete rest.  
-- Ashleigh Brilliant --






Have a peaceful week and enjoy every moment!
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment