Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 18, 2011

The purpose of the Friday Flash is to serve as a weekly staff memo to everyone at Renaissance to keep communication flowing, share celebrations, organization and system updates, logistics of events, staff development plans, some inspiration and community building.

I'm off schedule sending this to you on a Sunday evening, but I was eager to get started. Normally, I will send you an email with a link to this blog on Friday mornings. I decided to use a blog rather than a paper memo as it allows me to share so much more and will have old posts you can check back on for information.
 
Thanks so much for all your efforts in supporting 'Bootcamp'. I know that when we add something to our already packed schedule it is a strain. It was incredible that our community raised $25,000.!!!
REA is being responsive to the community feedback from last year and we will only have two formal fundraisers this year -' Bootcamp' and 'Life is Art' in April. We will continue to collect box tops and sell Script cards to King Soopers. I will be sending an  email to all of you and our community  communicating how the funds would be allocated from our fundraiser.

Calendar for the next two weeks:
(Be patient with me for awhile as I get all the calendars in sync. I may make a few errors...)
Week of September 19:
Tuesday, Sept. 20: Lindsey's Crew Fall Voyage to Educo
Wednesday, Sept. 21: New Parent Orientation
                                       Technology Professional Development
Thursday, Sept. 22: Admin. meetings for me all day
Friday, Sept. 23: District schedule teacher Professional Development day - No Students
                              We will start at 8:30 in the library and be together all day :)
                               *Prizes for everyone who can recite, by heart, their 5 top strengths


 
Week of September 26 - 30th:
Monday, Sept. 26: Picture re-take day
Wednesday, Sept. 28: All School Meeting
                                   Technology Professional Development
Friday, Sept. 30: Faculty Gathering (see Hanni for details)


I ran into this video last night when I was using my Google Reader and looking at blogs. This video was featured on We Ain't Got No Fear Of Technology!
http://web20classroom.blogspot.com/2011/09/we-aint-got-no-fear-of-technology.html

I laughed and laughed. Laughing mostly at myself...this could be me! No doubt we have all been up against a personal learning curve to keep up with the technology available to us. What a celebration that everyone is finding that new learning so valuable and fun! How fortunate our tech team/ teacher leaders lead the way and support us on our Wednesday Technology Professional Development days.

Upcoming information:
Please be sure to take a look at the Observation calendar and plug in your pre-observation, observation and post-observation on that calendar.
(I just got feedback that the calendar won't allow others to write on it. Grrr. I 'thought' I set the settings correctly, so will get that done on Monday.)
The calendar presently only goes until we break for the Christmas holiday. (Why does that not seem all that far away?)

A peek into classrooms:
(Featuring just a few each week)
Does anyone have the picture of Pedro with his little boy?

Jody produces her own Wild Kingdom show using her document camera! Thanks Jody for coming to get me so I wouldn't miss this gruesome experience!




Preying mantis eats a grasshopper in kindergarten.
Josh returns a 'happy camper' from his Voyage. I think Neil was hiding from me??
Lindsey heads out this week and then we will have completed all Fall Voyages! W00-HOO!
Thanks each and every one of you for the personal sacrifices you make to support these amazing experiences for kids!!
Each and every voyage has been a success. I think we are going to return to Camp Elim for second and third grade voyages. Camp Ida Ra Ha Je left us all unimpressed. 

Team building in  PE

Literature discussion 
Conferring with writer's in Historical Fiction genre study.

One of the 'Fluency Queen' winners! Did you get asked to listen to a student read a poem from Ms. Lindsey's crew?
Look at all the student's in Lindsey's crew who want to share a powerful piece of their writing! They are using Patricia Polacco's, Thunder Cake, as a mentor text for their writing.

Working on Dream Catcher's in Art. They are gorgeous!




I was walking down the hall and spotted Peyton and Daisy reading the  "I Am From" poems created by Josh's sixth grade students. Daisy was busy writing a response to the authors. What a great idea for sharing writing, providing an authentic audience, and getting feedback for writers!

Okay...that's all for this week's Friday Flash!
Thought to ponder:
"Children feel their way through learning more than they think their way through it."

What's your list of five most important books?

1 comment:

  1. Deborah,

    First of all, let me just say that I love this idea. I, of course, love the two week calendar and I like that it is in blog format. I will be able to find what I am looking for much easier than in my email inbox which I never sort or clean up.

    Secondly, I thought about my list of 5 most important books on my commutes to and from school today. I think I have my list. There are many ways to interpret this question but I am interpreting it as the 5 most important books to me personally.

    There are two from my elementary school years: Harriet the Spy and A Wrinkle in Time - I think I should reread these as an adult to see if I can remember why I loved them so much.

    There is one from my high school/college years: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. (Another one that I should reread as an adult.)

    There are two from my adult life - each about different aspects of my adult life. One is about parenting and is called Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn, The other is either About Teaching Mathematics by Marilyn Burns or Reading with Meaning by Debbie Miller. These were among the first professional books that I read and while both are good, they are more just a representation of my love of professional reading.

    ReplyDelete